"The horse is no machine, its readability no permanent state; it cannot be wound up for use when desired, poorly ridden for days and then put back in the corner."
-Douglas Puterbaugh
I learned this lesson in a very real way today. I decided that even though I haven't worked with Chance since November today was as good of day as any to try and ride him bareback. After all bareback should be low key and low stress easy on his back......right?
WRONG!!
Before I got on I backed him up and then worked on getting him to line up with the mounting block. Then once he was lined up I leaned over his back and put pressure on and told him he was a good boy. He wasn't particularly thrilled but I figured I could get him over it.
WRONG AGAIN!!!
I think I was on for roughly 2-5 seconds and then I was on the ground on my butt. OH NO! That was NOT cool!! So instead of getting away with a nice leisurely walk Chance got lunged at the trot. The crazy horse is going to need a lot of work to get up to where he was. It probably doesn't help that he was misbehaving when I stopped riding him. Anyway I'm just glad that Lissy is being trained so that I can work with Chance in my fleeting free time.
No comments:
Post a Comment